Here is a link to the video -
Here are my notes from Sunday
14I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 15I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one.a 16They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17Sanctify themb in the truth; your word is truth. 18As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world.
Eph 6:12 - we do not wrestle against flesh and blood
Welcome to Super Bowl Sunday ladies and Gentlemen!
I have noticed a trend - around this time of year a whole bunch of people who are not fans of any specific team start rooting for a team they never cared about before.
I have to make a confession…. I am not a sports fan…. at all…. I had to ask my wife who was playing in the Super Bowl this weekend - I simply don’t have room in my head along side all those Star Wars facts for stuff like this!
But I have noticed a trend! The culture begins to align themselves on one side or another.
People who have never before cared about a team all of a sudden take up a side.
Think Differently about sides. Not sports teams but ideas themselves
The Culture all around us has taken a side and that side is against the church.
judgemental - holier than thou - irrelevant - close minded - self righteous - small - old fashioned - DANGEROUS
The Church has taken a side and it is against the world...
we rant and gossip about the evil of those who do not know or love Jesus - WHAT DO WE EXPECT?
we fume at politicians who do not agree with us or who pass unjust laws - we should hate the laws but weep for those who passed them
So…. what do we do? When the World takes its side against us? - John 17:14-18
- They are not of the world just as I am not of the world (he says it twice in 3 verses)
- realize that we have been called to think differently! - we cannot respond to the world the way the world responds
- Christ is our example
- in the face of anger, accusation, and persecution - joy, humility, and self sacrifice
- in the face of sin - mercy and grace
- in the face of self-righteousness and the spirit of religion - anger and violence
- in the face of need - compassion and rescue - there is no place in Christ that says “they made their bed now they can lie in it” is that what Jesus did for you?
- I do not ask that you take them out of the world
- He said this on purpose!!! - Jesus had no desire that we be taken out of the world
- the church has always wanted to build a wall around itself and retreat from the world we must understand that Jesus has no desire for that kind of behavior in his people - Matt 5:14-15 - a city on a hill - the lamp belongs on the lamp stand
- recognize fear and renounce it - 2 Tim 1:7
- recognize self-righteousness and renounce it
- if you EVER at ANY TIME feel like you are BETTER than another human being - you have been convinced of a lie.
- Pastor Ron said it right last week - “Humility and repentance are the keys to change” both in ourselves and in the world.
- "But keep them from the evil one"
- we do have an enemy - but the WORLD is not the enemy Eph 6:12 we do not wrestle against flesh and blood
- there is a danger that we will be influenced by the world and not the other way around. We need to be aware and careful of that.
- Sanctify them in truth - YOUR WORD IS TRUTH
- "As you sent me into the world so I have sent them into the world" - the "iplan"
- Intercede, Invest, Invite, Include
- This week is the star of Intercede - get your cards they are in the bulletin and the ushers have them.
- Start praying FOR them not ABOUT THEM
- ask to love them
- ask to be given opportunities to display Jesus love to them and the courage to do it!
- ask that the blinders would be removed from their eyes 2 Cor 4:4 the god of the age has blinded them